Thursday, June 20, 2013

Nothing much happening in Aljezur

A late start again.. Must be getting lazy! The truth is I got up early but really needed to charge up some batteries and as the campsite had FREE WiFi I took full advantage. Spoke my daughter and the guys at work on Skype which was great. Really nice to see them hard at work. Then spoke to a very close friend who told me some sad news.. Get well soon Robert. Sending all my love to you my dear friend.. Wishing you strength and speedy recovery.

So I consider today as a days of rest a catching up with friends and family. Still manage to cover 38 miles on hilly roads with a facing wind at times. When the wind is hitting you full on, its really hard.. Oh before I forget. A big thanks to George.. You know why mate. You are very kind... Back to the cycling. As I was saying, riding in to wind really takes it out of you and when you factor in hills the energy levels really drop. Also the weather has got as lot better and the sun is out much of the day and there lies a new problem. Burning and heat stroke. I really felt the heat on my arms and knew they were getting burnt. So I put extra sun cream on.

 I also stopped early today. I didn't want to risk getting court out in the heat and having to ride a further 15 to 20 miles. I am fully aware that I'm out here by myself and can not afford to get I'll. 

There is so much thinking ahead, do I have enough water, how far is the next village, do I have money and do I have communication /battery power. I know I'm only in Portugal and you would think there's people all around but one thing I have learnt is you can not take it for granted. I have ridden for three hours and not seen a single person or car. So be prepared. Take no chances.

So tomorrow I hope to hit the south coast of Portugal, The Algarve baby.. People and life.


No comments:

Post a Comment