Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hitting small white balls

Started out late today which is fast becoming the norm, why rush to get to them hills I say to myself. When I finally hit the road I made straight to the coast, after all that's my main reason I'm riding the coastline is to see the sea. Now you my think there is this long road that follows the coastline but in reality its nothing like that. There are these coastal spots which you have to ride in and out off, which normally means riding down to the beach and of course riding back out again which in normally up hill. There was this one spot which I forget the name of but it was crazy steep with horse use bend coming right back up again. I rode past this English tourist who was walking down the hill. I heard my say to his wife. Watch this guy he has to ride back up the hill. On hearing this there was no way I was going to push the bike up the hill. As I turned and started coming back up the hill, it hit me really hard. This was steep but not that long. Maybe 300 metres but at least 1/15 gradient. I stood up on those pedals and grinded up the f@*%ing hill. I could see the guy just standing their watch me as I went slowly up. When I got to top he shouted out to me. I had a bet with my wife that you wouldn't make it.. Well done son.. I gave him a wave to tired to speak..

The thing that really made an impact on me today other than hills was how much money white balls bring to Portugal. I'm speaking about golf. Vilamoura and Quarteira is worlds apart from what I have ridden through. They remind me more of LA than Portugal with palm trees and manicured green lawns but I can not help thinking its like a retirement settlement for rich English people but it brings in the money that is clear to see. Its also very expensive. So if you like golf, retired, like the sun and have money Portugal is paradise. Keep hitting them white balls..

No comments:

Post a Comment