Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How not to go to Sevilla

I woke up early this morning with one thing on my mind, get the hell out of this dive of a camping site. No breakfast, just shower and pack up. I was ready to hit the road in record time and was riding at 8.30am. As I left the site I didn't even give a wave as normal. First sign I saw was for Lepe 11k and Huelva 51k. sweet I should be there in three hours or so. 5k before Huelva I hooked up with guy on a maintain bike and we rode in to the Port together. I said bye to my fellow rider and decided to head straight for Mazagon which was 19k on. Half way there I stopped to take a drink of water. Then this sinking feeling came over me as I opened my top bar bag.. I didn't check if I had my passport back from the guy at the reception office . I opened my document holder and yep it wasn't there. The next few minutes was a seen out Fawlty towers as I kicked the ground hising and cursing in a cloud of dry hot dust with cars passing me at speed. I had just ridden about 45 miles for nothing. There was nothing to do than ride back or at least to Huelva where I would have some options. As I rode back still cursing the street hookers that wait for business on the borders of town where the open road starts, think I'm there next customer because I had past them a little while before. Finally I get into the main city centre. I pull up to a cab stand and ask if they knew where I could hire a motorbike from. I thought this would be the cheaper option. This first cabbie tell me to ask the fourth cab back as he might know. No good said the cab driver. How much to Playa Taray I ask. He pulls out a tarif card €58 each way.. Shit I thought this was going to be expensive. I said €50 their and back and with that we shook on it. What about the bike I asked! No problem we take to my house. How far I said. 4k he replied and so we put the bags in his boot and I followed him to his house on the bike. Had to work hard just to keep up. So now we are on route back to campsite. On the drive there I found out that Nargi is seventh generation Huelve and has lived all his life and never left. He has two children one boy and a girl and is also a grandad. His grandson goes ton the same school that his son when to. Nargi also told me that Huelve football club was the first club to be formed in Spain along with golf and Tennis clubs. The drive back to where I started took about an hour which really surprises me as we are doing at least 80 kilometres an hour. We finally get there and I yes my passport was there. The drive to Huelve seems quicker and I'm now back with my bike but €50 lighter. Expensive lesson. I thank Nargi and I'm on my way again.

At the start of the day I was heading towards Donana national park, which is on the coast but I knew that there would hopefully be nicer camp sites down there but if was now 5pm and very hot and I still had at least two to three hours on the bike to get close. I knew Huelve is a major city and  would have a train station so I major re think was needed. Let me seen if I could get to Sevilla i said to myself. I got to the station and asked if the went to Sevilla. Yes but there was a problem. I don't think they allow bikes on the train said the ticket Clerk. Come back closer to the train leaving time and we can ask the train supervisor. I've head this before I said to myself. With a three hour wait I was in a fix. Do I wait and hope to get on the train or do I just stick to the original plan ride to the next city. Ride I said.. Off I set but 30 mins down the road I knew there was no way I would make it. I was just to tired and exhausted from the days events. So I went back to the station to take my chances with the train supervisor. So here I am waiting in train station lobby hoping to get on a train to Sevilla. I can all the clerks speaking about me and must of looked funny in my riding cloths all hot with a look of being lost on my face. About 20 minutes passed by and the supervisor turned up with a look of sorry mate but this not your day on his face. He asked if I had an alternative plan. I reply yes I could ride.. I did have a bike there.. He looked at me and said come with me. So I went. He took me on the train to the bar area and said put the bike there. Agreed I said with a big smile on my face. So as I'm writing this blog sitting on a train heading for Sevilla I think back to how they day started heading in one direction but ended going in an other.

No comments:

Post a Comment