Sunday, July 21, 2013

Gambia to Valencia by Train

My early morning wake up call of fireworks on the beach had me up by 7.30am, so after a shower I packed my gear up. Before hitting the road a quick coffee was in order before hitting the road. The weather was a little overcast as I pedalled down this small country lane. Today I'm going to get to Valencia I said to myself. I knew it would be at least 70km but I had made my mind up as I was packing. First sign post said 69km, not a bad guess I said to myself. The ride was going well and about an hour into in noticed a railway track to my right.. Am mm. I wonder if that railway track goes to Valencia? I had past Gambia which Is a larger town and was coming into the next town, the name of we which I can not remember. Getting closer to the turn off for the town I could hear a station loud speaker saying something. As in looked back at the line a could see a train coming. It was to late but at least I knew where the station was. You have just missed the train the ticket officer said. I know I replied. When is the next train to Valencia? I asked hoping that there would be more. In 45 minutes he said. Great news. In found a coffee shop a stones throw away and parked my ass their. I asked for a coffee, some toast and a fried egg. Can you believe that it took the whole 45 minutes to get my coffee and egg with toast and I burned the roof of my mouth because I had to eat it so quick otherwise I would of missed the train.

About an hour later I got into Valencia. I've now learnt that you always find out if there is s train going your way and what times they leave. So before leaving the station to have as look round I asked if there was a train going to Barcelona. The next train going there was at 5pm. Wow major luck. I get to spend all of the day having a look at Valencia and get to be in Barcelona by 10pm tonight. Now I can here you say, i thought this was a riding adventure! Yes it is but I've seen a lot of Spain the past month and I feel its now time to move on. I think I've had my fill of Spain's Coastline.

No comments:

Post a Comment